We have been running our monthly Charity Book Stall since September 2000, as Egham did not have a dedicated book shop for a number of years (until Woking & Sam Beare Hospices opened their bookshop just down the High Street in May 2011).
Our bookstall is open once a month, all day Friday and Saturday mornings, during most months of the year. We aim to raise around £750 each month (roughly £7,000 per year) with the proceeds divided between a selection of local charities/good causes and our current Church Fundraising Appeal.
Due to the bookstall’s recent success, irrespective of the amount we raise, we now commit to donating a fixed amount of £500 to our chosen local charity partner giving something back to the local community, who support us so well. Since the Bookstall opened we have raised well over £50,000 (In 2017, we raised a record £10,000 of which of which £4,550 was donated to local charities after deducting costs of running/improving the bookstall).
Click here to see a summary of monies raised by the Bookstall in recent years.
We have over 5,000 new, second hand, classic and collectors corner books in stock plus a variety of DVDs, CDs, and vinyl, all lovingly donated and sorted by category/author as it helps many of our loyal customers find what they’re looking for.
FRIDAYS : 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
SATURDAYS : 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- JANUARY 2018: NO BOOKSTALL
- Fri 23 / Sat 24 Feb : £1,380 raised – £500 donated to Battersea Dogs & Cats Home, Old Windsor
- Fri 23 / Sat 24 Mar : £920 raised – £500 donated to Surrey Air Ambulance
- Fri 20 / Sat 21 Apr : £750 raised – £500 donated to Staines Shopmobility
- Fri 18 / Sat 19 May : £1,000 raised – £500 donated to Samaritans (NW Surrey Branch)
- Fri 22 / Sat 23 Jun : £1,000 raised – £500 donated to Next Steps Depression Support (CornerHouse)
- Fri 20 / Sat 21 Jul : £1,030 raised – £500 donated to Shaw Trust (Egham Branch)
- AUGUST : NO BOOKSTALL
- Fri 14 / Sat 15 Sep : Runnymede Dementia Carers Support Group
- Fri 12 / Sat 13 Oct : Runnymede Rentstart
- Fri 16 / Sat 17 Nov : Runnymede Foodbank
- DECEMBER: NO BOOKSTALL
- JANUARY: NO BOOKSTALL
- Fri 8 / Sat 9 Feb : Battersea Dogs & Cats Home, Old Windsor
- Fri 8 / Sat 9 Mar : Surrey Air Ambulance
- Fri 12 / Sat 13 Apr : Staines Shopmobility
- Fri 17 / Sat 18 May : Samaritans (NW Surrey Branch)
- Fri 21 / Sat 22 Jun : Next Steps Depression Support (CornerHouse)
- Fri 19 / Sat 20 Jul : Shaw Trust (Egham Branch)
- AUGUST: NO BOOKSTALL
- Fri 20 / Sat 21 Sep : Runnymede Dementia Carers Support Group
- Fri 18 / Sat 19 Oct : Runnymede Rentstart
- Fri 15 / Sat 16 Nov : Runnymede Foodbank
- DECEMBER: NO BOOKSTALL
Our charity bookstall is entirely reliant on volunteers who give up valuable free time to help make the bookstall such a success. Although we have a number of student volunteer helpers from Royal Holloway College University of London (RHUL) and work closely with the RHUL Community Action Volunteering team (we were accredited with the Community Action Partner of the Year 2013/14 Award), we could really do with some regular extra help, to help set up, sort books and put them away again, so if you can spare say 1-2 hours per month at any of the following times:
- Thursday evening (4 PM – 7:30 PM) : heavy work/set up
- Friday morning (8:30 AM – 9:30 AM) : heavy work/set up
- Friday daytime (10 AM – 7 PM) : light work/sorting books
- Friday evening (7:30 PM – 8:30 PM) : heavy work/pack away
- Saturday morning (8 AM – 9:30 AM) : heavy work/set up
- Saturday morning (10 AM – 12 noon) : light work/sorting books
- Saturday lunchtime (12:30 – 2:30 PM) : heavy work/pack away
- …we will happily give you a discount or even some free books to thank you for your time.
- To register your interest as a volunteer, please contact Graham Burrough, our bookstall co-ordinator, via e-mail or directly on one of our bookstall dates.